Drewry, Nicholas Butt, M.D., has been engaged in active practice as a physician and surgeon of Griffin, Spalding county, for the past forty years and is one of the leading members of his profession in this part of the state. He was also engaged in the drug business in Griffin for
many years, and during the Civil war was able to render valuable service to the Confederacy through his faithful labors as a surgeon in field and hospital.
Dr. Drewry was born in that portion of Pike county, Ga., which is now included in Spalding county, Dec. 15,1835, a son of Edwin and Eliza Jones (Williams) Drewry, the former born at Deweyville, Southampton county, Va., April 6, 1798, and the latter in Hancock county,
Georgia. The father of Edwin Drewry was a valiant soldier of the Continental forces during the war of the Revolution, and was a man of influence in his community, the town of Deweyville, Va., having been named in honor of the family.
Doctor Drewry secured his early education in the common schools of his native county, and in October, 1854, was matriculated in Jefferson medical college, of Philadelphia, Pa., later entering the Atlanta medical college, in which he was graduated as a member of the class of 1855. Thereafter he was engaged in the practice of his profession in Fayette county, Ga., until December, 1859, when he removed to Jonesboro,
Clayton county. In December, 1860, he entered Charity hospital and the New Orleans medical college, where he was engaged in post-graduate work until March, 1861. In September of that year he enlisted as a private in Company E, Thirtieth Georgia volunteer infantry, and soon afterward was appointed surgeon, entering service in the field. He was commissioned surgeon, with rank of assistant surgeon, in January, 1863, and was then assigned to hospital duty, in which capacity he served until after the close of the war, at the Medical college hospital, in Atlanta, until June, 1864, and then to February, 1865, was in charge of the distributing hospital at Columbus, Miss. He then returned to the
Atlanta medical college hospital where he remained in charge of the wards to care for the soldiery returning from the war until May, 1865, having thus been detained for some time after the final surrender of Generals Lee and Johnson. After
the close of the war, in 1865, Doctor Drewry opened a drug store in Griffin, where he entered actively upon the practice of his profession, conducting his drug store until Sept. 1, 1899, when he disposed of the business, and has since devoted his attention entirely to the work of his profession, controlling a large and representative practice.
He has served continuously as president of the board of education since 1880; and was a member of the city council in 1869-70; was again a member in 1875, and served also as mayor pro tem. He represented Spalding county in the state legislature in 1882-3. In 1902 he was
appointed a member of the board of directors of the Georgia experimental station by Gov. Allen D. Candler, and on Dec. 6, 1904, he was elected Mayor Griffin, in which he gave a most progressive and satisfactory administration.
In 1849, Doctor Drewry became a member of the Baptist church at Whitewater, Fayette county, and in 1857 he was ordained a deacon in the same church. In 1891 he was elected moderator of the Flint River Baptist association and served in this office seven years in terms of two years at the two first incumbencies as that was the limit of a member’s service by the rule of the association, but in 1902 was again elected to the position as moderator and at the end of the term of two years, the association abandoned the rule of limiting the term of service to
ten years and was again elected and is at this time filing the position.
The Doctor has been a Mason since 1856; is identified with the Lodge, Chapter and Council of this time-honored fraternity, and is
Past Worshipful Master of Meridian Sun Lodge, No. 26, of Griffin having served in that position in 1882.
He is a member of the Spalding county medical association and the Georgia medical association, and the United Confederate Veterans. On Sept. 10, 1857, Doctor Drewry was united in marriage to Miss Marie Louise Ellis, daughter of Dr. James T. and Nancy (Dunn) Ellis, of Spalding county, and her death occurred on Aug. 4, 1864. Following is a brief record concerning the children of their union: Blanche graduated in Richmond college, Richmond, Va., and is now the wife of Charles H. Westbrook, of Griffin; Dr. T. Ellis Drewry likewise attended Richmond college, after which he was graduated in medicine in the Atlanta medical college and Jefferson medical college, now being engaged in practice in Griffin; Nicholas B., Jr., died, at the parental home, Oct. 6, 1881, having been at the time a student in the University of Georgia. On Jan. 8, 1868, Doctor Drewry contracted a second marriage, being then united to Miss Mary Minor Herndon, daughter of Reuben Herndon, and the only child of this union is Joseph Herndon, who was graduated in Mercer University in 1889 in the law Department of the University of Georgia in 1890, and is now engaged in the Mercantile business in Atlanta, Ga. Mrs. Mary M. Drewry was summoned to the Life eternal on July 23, 1891, and on Oct. 5, 1893, Doctor Drewry married his Present wife, whose maiden name was Julia McGown McWilliams and who is a Daughter of Robert Patrick McWilliams, of Griffin.
Dr. Drewry is buried at Oak Hill Cemetery, Griffin, Spalding County, Georgia. His first wife, Mary Louise (b. 10 Sept 1839, d. 4 Aug 1864) died shortly after Giving birth to a son (b. 17 July 1864, d. Nov. 1864). She and the infant are Also buried there. Second wife, Minor Herndon Drewry (b. 11 Apr. 1845, d. 23 July 1891), and their son Joseph Herndon Drewry (b. 3 Apr 1869, d. 7 May 1937) are buried there as well other family members.