Meridian Sun Lodge No. 26, F. & A. M., is just two years younger that the City of Griffin, having been chartered on November 12, 1842.  Phillip
T. Schley was Grand Master of the State of Georgia when the charter was
granted.  The three principal officers of the Lodge when it was chartered were Joseph C. Atkinson, Worshipful Master; Sidney K. Reeves, Senior Warden; and Jeremiah Leake, Junior Warden.


Throughout the one hundred seventy three years of its existence, Meridian Sun Lodge has been one of the most active and influential Masonic organizations in the State.  Its membership rolls for 175 years have contained the names of leading citizens of Griffin, Spalding County and the State of Georgia.


The Lodge prospered and in October, 1851, bought property on the corner of Slaton Avenue and Hill Street, where lodge rooms were erected.  This building was destroyed by fire on November 17, 1859.


On December 21, 1892, Meridian Sun Lodge purchased a building on the corner of Hill Street and Solomon Street.  The George Harkness building
then occupied the location.  The building was completely remodeled, a third story being added, and a stone front built.  In 1919 Meridian Sun Lodge
purchased property in the rear of the original building from the Glessner
interest and built an annex to the building.


The Temple on the corner of Hill Street and Solomon Street was sold to Commercial Bank and Trust Co. in 1976 and demolished.  The building that is presently located there is owned by the City of Griffin.  The Lodge moved to the corner of Wesley Avenue and Zebulon Road just outside of town. 
This is where the Lodge is now located. 


During the War Between the States Meridian Sun Lodge continued to meet regularly and played a great part in relief work here among families of members who were away at the war.  The Lodge has a splendid record in charitable work and can justly point to the fact that it has never, in its long history turned away a worthy applicant for relief.  


In 1900 Meridian Sun Lodge was one of the leading lodges in the State in sponsoring erection and organization of the Masonic Orphans (Children's) Home at Macon.  The substantial amount given towards the financial program and regular contributions made each year have helped the Children's Home to continue as a benevolent institution.

‚Äč

During the 175 years of existence in Griffin, Meridian Sun Lodge has been guided by capable officers.  Many outstanding citizens have been Worshipful
Master of the Lodge.  The current Worshipful Master and Officers look forward to continuing the tradition of Brotherhood and being a Beacon of Light in the community for many more years to come.

 

Meridian Sun Lodge No. 26 Free & Accepted Masons